Thursday 13 March 2014

Still have purpose, but no more running

I posted this on another blog by accident, so if you've seen it before, my apologies - my brain isn't working so well these days:

Running and my brain:
Back in November 2012 I was diagnosed with brain cancer - an oligodendroglioma - after an enormous seizure.  After three operations I am now, effectively, epileptic.  And I still have some weakness  on my left side - as a result of my first operation.  I had to learn how to walk again, and I still can't run, sadly, although there are a great many things I can do.  Perhaps I now am more aware of them.  For example, I have been able to touch type for decades.  It took a bit of practice, and I can do it, though not as fast as before.  Luckily, my speech and reading ability are not impaired.  Another slight downside of my condition is that, having managed to give up eating "junk" carbs like Rice Krispies and sugar in my tea and coffee.  I felt a strong wish to start consuming them again in hospital.  I sort of felt that after all I'd been through, I might as well indulge myself - after all, the point in giving them up was to save my brain, and I felt I'd rather lost that battle.  I can always give them up again if I want to - I have managed to avoid putting sugar in my drinks, though giving up sweet and "junky" foods is proving a little harder.  Most of my brain is still intact and functioning - though there's room for improvement.  Part of me is somewhat indignant that after all my efforts to be good to my brain, I ended up with a brain tumor diagnosis.  Though I am daily grateful that it wasn't worse - it could have been one of my family instead.

Purpose:
I still care a great deal about research into Alzheimer's Disease.  I lost my father to complications arising from Alzheimer's late last year, while I was still in hospital myself.  I hope that by raising funds for Alzheimer's Research UK, some breakthrough  will be funded that will spare others this sort of loss.  However, I can no longer run, so raising funds through the London Marathon is no longer a realistic option. I am working on an alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment